As you all know, I've been working on a number of aspects of my life: weight, finishing my education, moving in with the boyfriend, and starting a new career. In order to gain insight to the full picture, I have to share where I am coming from in each of these areas. So, with that in mind, this post begins a four-part series about where I've been, where I am, and where I'm going.
Without further ado, welcome to my life.
My Weight Struggles
In my younger years, weight was not really an issue. I am petite (4'11" (and 3/4)) and was always within a healthy range for my size. And in high school I was fairly active, especially my senior year when I joined the dance team. At my best, I weighed 115 lbs, and wore a size 5 in most clothes.
 |
2003 OSAA State Championship
|
It wasn't until after high school that I began to find difficulty keeping the weight off. Emotional stress, coupled with poor food/drink choices led to some gain. I don't remember how far it got but I'm sure it leveled off in the 130s. Then, in 2008 after much more emotional turmoil, I got into a relationship with food and an anti-depressant called celexa. I gained 40 more pounds, peaking at 188. Boy was that a shock but it wasn't enough to make me do anything. I moved in La Grande in 2009 and felt like I should do something but wasn't ready yet. Despite picking up some additional physical activity, I lost only 10 lbs from 2009 to 2012.
 |
| Las Vegas, June 2011 |
 |
Spring 2012, Easter
|
Finally, something had to give. In December 2012, I was given a rare opportunity. Between ending at one job and starting another I had four weeks off. I spent that time working on my MBA thesis paper, painting a room in our new house, and going to the gym. I had always wanted to try Zumba but had an excuse every time I made effort to go. But this time, there were no more excuses. From those classes, I met some really great friends who have been elemental in my weight loss journey so far. Christine and Krista, instructors at my gym, are amazing. And Christine introduced me to my real weight loss catalyst: Weight Watchers.
Believe me when I say I never thought I would do WW. My mom lost 44 lbs on it but I had it engrained in my head that WW is for old people (ha!). On March 9, 2013 I had my first weigh in, 171.6. As of yesterday, May 18, 2013 I have lost 14.2 lbs. While I am on my way, I still have a long way to reach 115. Already I am feeling and seeing the affects of my loss. I am wearing size 12 pants and don't have difficulty reaching my shoes in the morning (winning!). I forgot how good it feels to be thin(ner than my previous incarnation).
Sorry I don't have any recent photos. I'm still a little camera shy. I will definitely have some to share after Chris' brother and sister in law visit later this week.
So there you go. That's my story. Stay tuned for part 2, finishing my education, later this week. :)
WINNING! So proud of you! You are an inspiration :) Keep up the hard work--can't wait to party with you in that little black skirt you always had hanging up in your room ;)
ReplyDelete